A walk around the LTVA

27 Dec, 2016; Imperial Dam LTVA, Yuma AZ

Over a month’s normal rainfall in one day (still only .5”)


I thought the parched ground would just suck up the rainfall – but apparently the ground is so packed and rocky, it’s more like concrete – except for the sandy washes and some sandy spots on roads, the rainfall just sits in big puddles.



More signs of the elusive burros


My neighbor points out some sandy circular areas where the rocks have mostly been brushed away.  Theses areas are used by the burros as wallows for rolling.  One year the burros became so pesky, my neighbor raked rocks back into the wallows near his camp site to discourage the burros from coming around.  He also told me that persistently pesky burros are rounded up and taken to BLM adoption centers – maybe that’s why I haven’t seen any this year.


One morning I was visited by a bunch of red-winged blackbirds - this is just a few of them by my burro wallow - currently a puddle.


How to find your trailer in the dark


I’ve posted before about how hard it is to find your way around these unmarked, vague dirt roads at night – I lost my trailer one night in Quartzite a couple of years ago!  The “roads” are sometimes hard to see in the daylight, and, in the desert, there are no streetlights and the trailers are often dark as well.  Night here is a lot darker than night in the city.





So, in addition to keeping outside lights on the trailer  when folks expect to be back after dark, I see other solutions as I walk around the LTVA.


People build rock cairns at significant turn-offs, often adding reflectors or solar lights


More Solar lights - some people outline their whole site with these


And, as long as you're out there, might as well construct a desert 'intaglio' of a guitar - or whatever, you're into!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!