August in Portland–and the last “catch-up” Post

Only 2 things worth mentioning for the month


For me, August consisted of wrapping up all my business and saying goodbye to family and friends.  As much as I want to be off in the wilderness somewhere, it’s always hard to say goodbye.  In between chores, I studied maps and tried to decide where to spend the fall – sunny, cool and away from the extensive forest fires (a difficult challenge – it seems that all the western states are on fire.

Total Eclipse of the Sun


The last eclipse that I remember in Oregon was about 30 years ago – we were all prepared but then the sky was so overcast, there was nothing to see.  Not so this time, the sky was clear and the view was spectacular.  I loved everything about it.  The neighborhood got quiet and so dark that the street lights came on.  I didn’t take any pictures – I figured I couldn’t take any images as good as the professional’s – and there were certainly some amazing photos.

Eagle Creek Fire


Just as I was getting serious about route-planning, a fire was started (kids with fire-crackers) in the Columbia Gorge along the Eagle Creek Trail – one of my favorites.  It trapped almost 150 day hikers who had to spend the night huddled down between 2 wildfires; the next day, they had to hike a 14 mile route to get around the fire.  The fire was so fierce that it bridged the Columbia River and started another fire on the Washington side! 

Within days, the fire covered over 30,000 acres of prime scenic areas close to Portland and the winds brought the worst smoke and ash that I have ever experienced (lived in Portland for over 30 years).

Every night the news, in addition to showing the devastation of the fire, would show footage of favorite waterfalls and trails that were undamaged – Portland was in a panic about the fate of our scenic natural playground in the George.


When I got ready to leave, I-84 E was still closed between Troutdale and Hood River.  I could have gone east on the Washington side (highway 14) but I didn’t really want to see all the fire damage.  So, I chose to go around Mt Hood to the south and catch up with I-84 after the closure at Hood River.  A smoky choice, slow going because of all the big semi-trucks that would normally have been on the interstate – but it was reassuring to drive familiar roads through the Mt Hood forest and see many favorite hikes, ski areas and, near Hood River, wineries and orchards, that were untouched by fire.


This isn't my photo  - but it does show why all Portlanders are so freaked out.





No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!