On the road again!

Deschutes River Recreation Area, Biggs Oregon; 8 Sept, ‘17

My trailer definitely has a sense of humor!


Twice I’ve gone back into the trailer at rest stops to discover all my plates and bowls spread out over the floor of the trailer.  This has happened before, rarely, and only after miles on really bumpy roads.  Today, I’ve driven slowly on perfectly good highway.  Who Knows?!  For now, I’m tying the cupboard doors together and I’ve put that sticky shelf liner stuff on my shopping list.   It’s always something.



Threading the needle thru the wildfires


If it’s summer, the western states are on fire.  Especially now, with 15 of the hottest, driest summers on record since 2000.  The week before I was to leave, a fierce wildfire (Eagle Creek Fire) closed I-84 E. on the North side of Mt Hood. I-84 is the major interstate going East from Portland.  Fortunately, I could take another route that would take me around the South (hwy 26) and then up the East (hwy 35) side of Mt. Hood until I could rejoin I-84E after the closure.


Smokey, smokey, smokey!!!


The drive was pretty and nostalgic.  I passed many trailheads where I have hiked and snow-shoed or cross-country skied over the years.  The smoke from the fires was sometimes thick and acrid and the going was slow due to all the long-haul truckers who were also taking this detour.  Just before Hood River, I enjoyed driving through the ‘fruit loop’, a rich agricultural area of the mountain featuring vineyards (and wineries!!) fruit tree orchards, and berry farms.

I was tempted to stop for a local hard cider – but was feeling so lazy I knew it would be hard to get moving again!


As it was, I only got about 120 miles before stopping at the Deschutes River Recreation Area Campground.  It’s a lovely grassy campground right on the Deschutes River with boat launches and moorage stations along the shore for camping fishermen.







Really easy tie-up posts for the boats - also tires or heavy carpet on the bank to protect the front of the boats.  Sweet!





2 comments:

  1. We've had the Non-Slip material in all our RVs and use the Bungies to tie the door shut. we also use Plate/Bowl holders sold at many camping supply outlets. We carry a Six Place Setting with us in case we have company.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought some of the non-slip stuff - also realized that I had reorganized that cupboard when I was stationary for a few months this summer. I put things back the way they were and the problem seems cured. I carry more plates than I need - usually, if I have folks over I use paper plates to save water on washing up. Oh well, it just seems weird to have less than a 4 place setting!

      Delete

We Love Comments!!