The weather turns in Moab

Moab, Utah; 27 Sept, 2017


I wake up to the sound of rain on my roof.


Heavy cloud cover moved in overnight and a light rain has started.  Soon, I see lightening and hear the distant sound of thunder.  I enjoy a hot mug of tea and enjoy the show!  So nice when I'm in my trailer and not in a flimsy tent.  

I decide that today will be a chore day (also influenced by getting dressed with my last pair of clean underwear!).  I grab my laundry supplies and laundry bag, make a grocery list and off I go to Moab.

I drive by the entry road to Arches and see almost bumper-to-bumper traffic (not only at the gate - but on the road winding up through the park!).  Arches has never been my favorite of the 'big 5' National Parks in Utah, but seeing all the traffic cements my decision to give it a pass this trip.


Is that snow I see??


As I drive south to Moab, I happen to glance up at the La Salle Mountains in the distance.  And yes, there is a dusting of snow on the peaks that wasn't there yesterday!!  Pretty neat!  It's been cooler lately - sweatshirt weather in the mornings and evenings ;  my afternoon ritual of a frosty glass of iced tea (or adult beverage) has been changed to a mug of hot tea.  Fall has arrived in the Southwest too.

Wow, Moab!  How big you've grown!!

Even though it was a rafting and mountain biking destination when I was here last (25-30 yrs ago), I'm amazed at the growth.  There are mobs of mountain bikers, an overhead tram going up one canyon wall, scads of bike shops, rafting, jeeping, outfitters, motels, galleries, restaurants! It used to be a sleepy little place.

I find a laundromat that isn't too crowded



Unlike a lot of laundromats, this one only has double, triple and gigantic machines.  While there are a couple other folks my age, the majority of patrons seem to be pretty young - I imagine that they are guides for rafting or other adventure outfitters turning around their laundry in between trips (another sign is that the place is open 24 hrs).  One young guy has a load of clothes - but also a sleeping bag.

Laundry done, I fill up with gas.  At the station, I'm surrounded by young, confident people clearly enjoying vacation time - you can pretty much tell their choice of recreation by their clothes - the mountain bikers and the river rats.

I find several local markets and pick the biggest.  I'm rewarded by a sizable produce section that even stocks organic.  And yes! there's even a small olive bar (my latest addiction).

I also find an unusual sign in the very crowded parking lot.  Well, I can't park there - oh, wait a minute, maybe I can!




Stocked up and ready to go!


Tomorrow, I'll head south for a few days of camping and hiking the Needles area of Canyonlands NP.  I am enjoying Utah immensely (as usual!).


No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!