Colossal Caves!

25 Nov, 2017; Colossal Caves, Tucson AZ

Colossal Caves - a pretty rare type of cave


Colossal Caves are dry/dormant caves - so they aren't growing anymore.  They are also known as 'labyrnth' caves because of the maze like layout.  Unlike the lava tubes that I've explored in Oregon, it would be quite easy to become lost in these caves.  Passage-ways disappear into the dark in all directions (including pits and holes in the ceiling.




In addition to the tour guides flashlight, the caves are lighted to show off the various formations.  Nicer than the Oregon caves where one is requested to bring 3 flashlights to light your own way.






I wasn't in the mood to visit Kartchner Caverns - a more well-know cave system about an hour SE of Tucson - so I was glad to see Colossal Caverns and visit them.  








They are a constant 70F with 45-50% humidity - much warmer than the caves of the PNW!








I asked about their bats - I know that the epidemic of white-nosed fungus has drastically impacted bat populations across the country.  But, here, no one asked us about our recent exposure to caves or whether we were wearing the same boots (forbidden elsewhere with a year of being in another cave system).  


Some of the passageways were barely wide enough for my shoulders, and some of the ceilings would be difficult for anyone taller than me (5'6")


watch your head here!

I was told that because the bats here are migratory and the cave environment doesn't promote the growth of molds/fungus, that there bats are doing well.  I was glad to hear that - not that I love bats, but I hate to hear of bad things happening to a critical part of the eco-system (enlightened self-interest).






Some of the floor is just a thin crust - exposing deep holes below - follow your guide closely!

I took a 'level 1' tour - meaning that anyone who can walk, can do it.  They give a bunch of different tours - including one that lasts most of the day and requires participants to pass a series of physical climbing tasks to prove that they can accomplish the terrain within the cave.  One test is free-climbing a 30 foot vertical hole - yikes!!



2 comments:

We Love Comments!!