Desert Ramble

24 Jan, 2018; Roadrunner BLM, Quartzite AZ


When sunrise gets me up early . . . 


I usually peep out my window in the morning to see if the sunrise is going to be super special (it has to be dynamite to get me up in the morning) - today, I had to get to get up!





And after a beautiful morning, a nice long walk is in order!


I started out on a gravel road - Pipeline road and ambled west.  El Paso Natural Gas has markers all along this road announcing the buried lines.  Along the way, I saw some creosote bushes that looked like they had just bloomed - they sported little puffy balls about the size of a Q-tip point.




This big Saguaro, very thick and healthy looking, is clearly  benefiting from the 'nurse' tree providing it's shade and protection.  



As I walked along, I could see a community ahead of me (Rainbow Subdivision - near La Paz Valley community) - and, as so often happens to me, I couldn't turn back before seeing it.  Even though the neuroma (nerve problem) in my foot started to hurt.   Even though my sock slipped down inside my shoe and I rubbed a blister on my ankle.   Even though I knew better . . . 


Pipeline Road through a big wash


Finally, like a mirage, a bench appeared out of the desert and I gratefully flung myself down on it.  Surprisingly, the bench marked the 8th hole of a small desert golf course.  Desert golf courses are unlike any golf course you are likely ever to encounter.  There is no grass.  You're hitting directly off gravel and sand.  

Never have I welcomed a bench more!




When you get to the flag for the hole, you will find that there is no actual hole.  This is kind of good news, because I, for one, would not like to put my hand down a hole in the desert (finding spiders and scorpions who would be somewhat ticked off to have suddenly been bonked by a golf ball and now aggravated further by someone mucking about in their home looking for the offending golf ball).  

Instead, there's just a general area, marked by a small trench in the shape of a cross, presumably to keep your ball from continuing to roll into the next county.




After resting a bit, I look closely at the buildings - probably only a quarter mile further on - but, since I can't see a big sign 'Refreshing Cold Lemonade Here', I turn around and head back for my rig, limping slightly.

Along the way, I watch several ATV's cross the big sandy wash.  I'd hate to try it in my SUV - the gravel is very loose and deep.  It's hard to get a good picture in this light - trust me, driving through this would be a challenge!



Some Canadians in a big pickup stopped to give me kudos for walking and to ask if I needed any assistance (apparently, I'm limping more than I thought).  By then, I could see my rig in the distance so I kept going - and was rewarded by my Fitbit erupting in a little digital celebration telling me that I had hit 10,000 steps (and it wasn't even noon yet!!).

Back at the rig, I was happy to spend the next couple hours sitting in the sun and watching the hummingbirds.

4 comments:

  1. Nice walk but it looks tough going in that gravel. Love the desert golf course, I've heard of them before. Congrats on the 10,000 steps. My fitbit was an embarassement yesterday. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so nice meeting you had Bloggerfest on Saturday.
    We saw some of those puffy balls on the Creosote bushes today. I had never seen those before something new all the time.
    Great sunrise pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad that I got to bloggerfest while folks were still there!
      I'm always surprised to see new things in landscape that looks so uniform. I've been in my current site for over 10 days but yesterday was the first time I saw a bunch of ? ground squirrels? in the wash next to my rig.

      Delete

We Love Comments!!