A desert native tries to move in

26 Mar, 2018; Casa Grande, AZ SKP Rover's Roost RV Co-op


There are a lot of birds here at Rover's Roost 


Owls, hordes of song birds, and even more Doves. RV'ers aren't the only things roosting around here.  The doves walk around on my roof, perch on my bike, and strut about on the hood of my car.  I noticed one cuddled down by my windshield wipers - hmmmmm . . . . that looks a bit suspicious.


Dove nesting by the driver side windshield wiper

Sure enough, when I went out to look, the Dove had placed all sorts of short and long needles in the cavity between the hood and the windshield!  I scooped out all the nesting material and drove off on my chores.

But, this little dove was persistent!  Within 2 hours of coming back home, she was busily building a nest in the same spot!!!  Ok, time to get serious.  I took some peppermint oil (works as a deterrent for rodents - maybe it will work on doves too) and saturated some paper which I then loosely wrapped in tin foil.  I jammed the foil into the gap around the windshield wiper.  I figured that the tin foil and the smell would repel the dove.


And still, she persisted!


Well, it worked temporarily - but this dove was not to be foiled (ha ha - see what I did there).  
The next morning I found her nesting on the passenger side.  


Here's the happy couple checking out the new nest site

Arrrgghh . . . .  more peppermint oil, more tin foil!!!




By now, I've named her 'Elizabeth Warren'.  I fully expect that either she or her companion will set up a filibuster on the hood of my car.


 
Here they are plotting their next move


Despite the dove wars, the day ends peacefully



No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!