Desert Living: Africanized Bee Dangers

18 Mar, 2018; Casa Grande, AZ


I thought I was well versed in desert living


I went to junior and senior high school in Midland Texas.  I  know about high winds, the dangers of dehydration and too much sun, cactus, sticker-burrs, spiders (black widows and tarantulas), scorpions (in the house, mind you!) and rattlesnakes.  This is one reason I love the desert in the winter and am generally on my way North by spring.

But, listening to the news this morning, I have been made aware of a new, really scary danger.  Africanized bees!  I knew that they had appeared in South America and were moving North - but I hadn't realized that they'd made it to the States.  

African Bees are very territorial and highly aggressive.  They interbreed with local bees and apparently there is now a 'Bee Swarming Danger Season'.  The news report detailed the deaths of 3 little puppies that were stung in the backyard of their home.  The report continued with advice on what to do if you come upon a swarm of bees and disturb it.  (First of all, don't disturb the bees!!!) I guess you just run like hell and hope you can get .25 or .5 miles away before you are overcome by bee stings!

Very scary - and now I'm even less likely to put out my hummingbird feeders in areas that may attract bees!


Well, that's what I'm thinking about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!