Getting to know Phoebe

5 Dec, 2018; SMR, Apache Junction, AZ


For such a small dog, she sure is a hard-chewer!


The following tale is a sad one; brand new toy meets Phoebe, the toy killer.
 This toy started out with a tennis ball tummy; after 15 minutes, there was no fuzz on the ball at all.
The next day, Phoebe chewed off it's face, pulled out all the stuffing and killed the squeaker.  The  following day, the tennis ball was reduced to tiny little pieces.

She never has the toy for more than about 15-20 minutes!  And, I spend a lot of time picking up bits of fluff so she doesn't eat it.  But, she doesn't like 'heavy chewer' toys like kongs. 




On our morning walks, we often find the remains of birds that didn't make it through the night.  Phoebe has to check out all the feathers and the little fluffy pin-feathers get stuck on her nose - very funny, although she usually eats them before I can get them off.




She's much bolder around people now (2 months of women cooing and handing out treats will do that!) - but, I do find her timidity frustrating at times.  The worst part is that her progress isn't a straight line.  After getting very good about letting me get her harness and even her sweater, on in the mornings, lately, she's decided that this activity is extremely scary - back to day 1!  Sigh . . .


She"s a great little hiker!!


House training is also going slowly.  Mostly, it consists of training me!  5 walks a day, at prescribed times seems to work.  Sometimes(but not always), she gives me a signal that she needs to go out - so, I watch her like a hawk.  But, occasionally, like at night, when I'm sound asleep - we have a problem.  I know I should crate her - but that involves a whole different fight - she won't go in voluntarily even though that's where she's fed, she's still terrified of being picked up.  Sigh . . .

So, we work on being touched every day, we work on learning some commands (sit, wait, foot, leave it,etc) every day.  All very softly, with treats and at her pace. She loves walking, getting in the car (although city drives make her barf) and snuggling next to me when she's cold.

She gets jealous when I pay too much attention to other dogs, she rarely barks, and so far, has loved all but one dog that we've met along the way.

It's all good and she's a great dog - but, I do get impatient sometimes.



Snuggled up in some blankets on a chill morning



2 comments:

  1. I've forgotten if I've mentioned this ... I had a dog with similar fears and behaviors. A professional told me to have the dog lick around my mouth every time I entered the dog's space, which told the dog that I was alpha and that she would be safe with me. It made world of difference in her behavior really quickly. Might help with Phoebe ... might just keep your face clean. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - I do let her lick my chin a bit - she's part Chihuahua, so as she relaxes, she's getting to be quite the licker (I hate licking!).
      When I step back and remember my first week with her, I see how far she's come.

      Delete

We Love Comments!!