Kissing Bug?

15 July, 2019; Vail AZ


Big Dead Bug


Sometimes, even a 1-1.5" dead bug can be of interest to me.  This one looks like it was decorated in gold leaf.  The gold just shimmers in the light.  Unfortunately, I read that Kissing Bugs can carry Chagas disease (very bad).  Then again, it could be some different bug - my wildlife identification skills are rudimentary, at best.


For the non-bug folks


I also have a couple of Cardinals who live nearby - I hear them every morning and often see them in my back yard.




The front yard is full of ground squirrels of some kind.  They are pretty shy - but this one peaked out to see how long I was going to stand around in the heat waiting to take his picture.




The prickly pear 'tuna's look just about ready to harvest for jams and jelly - I'm tempted to try but hear that it's really a lot of work to get rid of the small hairlike spines on the outside.




I'll probably just leave the tuna's to the birds and bees.  Like whoever lives in the nest in this Palo Verde!




Update: the first picture of the big bug has been identified!


And, it's not a kissing bug.  It was a Giant Mesquite Bug.  Very pretty in all it's stages of life.

Here's another picture of one.


The body, once the wings are spread, are a shiny deep blue.  Spectacular!!

3 comments:

  1. My mom used to make prickly pear jelly. I tried the prickly pear juice (iced tea like) ... I'm allergic. Closed my throat right up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! Well, I've had prickly pear ice tea - so I know I'm not allergic. But, it still seems like a lot of work.

      Delete
  2. As reported by Stanford Medical, It is really the SINGLE reason women in this country live 10 years longer and weigh an average of 42 lbs less than us.

    (And realistically, it really has NOTHING to do with genetics or some secret diet and really, EVERYTHING to "how" they eat.)

    BTW, I said "HOW", not "WHAT"...

    Click this link to find out if this quick quiz can help you discover your true weight loss potential

    ReplyDelete

We Love Comments!!