Resident Varmints

12 July, 2019; Vail AZ


Seen once: Wildlife; Seen repeatedly: Individuals


The first time I saw a wolf spider in my back yard, I squealed and barely resisted the temptation to squash it.  But, every evening, I see it out hunting near it's burrow in my back yard.  We commune while Phoebe takes her last little walk before bed time.  This particular spider is now an individual; I look for it and am disappointed if I don't see it (what's next - a name?); and I worry about whether it will survive the landscaping work in the yard.

The size of a small tarantula - but I think it's a wolf spider

I have several big spiny lizards that visit my back wall during the day.  They live in the woodpiles outside my fence.  They're very shy - won't let me get very close before darting away - but, they too, have become individuals.


This spiny lizard has a blue neck and black belly; lives near the north fence


This spiny lizard lives near the west side of the fence and is more gold - no blue.

I saw this horned toad for the first time today.  It was crossing my driveway - maybe just passing through.  Very shy - it's coloring blending in so very well I almost couldn't find it again when I came back with my camera.


Only the 2nd horned toad I've seen in Arizona

 

4 comments:

  1. Your blog is so fun to read. I don’t like varmits but I love reading about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind them as long as they aren't in the house, or bugging the dog. The lizards come in so many colors, shapes, and sizes! I saw a baby zebra tail last week - it was only a couple inches long, including it's tail - and ran very, very fast!

      Delete
  2. Yes, it looks like a wolf spider. Aren't they very venomous? I've had two in the house. Unfortunately, they did not survive their adventure!! I get along great with the lizards though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, they are venomous (painful, not lethal) - but not very aggressive. I wouldn't want them in the house either!

      Delete

We Love Comments!!