For a quarantine, there is so much going on

6 May, 2020; Vail, AZ


The Van Conversion takes a major step forward



Yesterday, I loaded up the solar panels, the bars for the rack, all the wiring, the extension cord marine fitting, and the passenger side swivel seat. Today, I trekked over to Carl's RV for the install (I just wasn't keen on drilling holes in the van or the bars, and I'm not strong enough to take out the passenger seat and install a 45 pound swivel!).  

I sat in the waiting area (with my mask on) and sketched.  A few hours later and Voila! I have solar and comfortable seating in my van.













All I need is a foot rest!

It's starting to feel like a camper!  Now, if only Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona would open up travel restrictions a bit, I could zoom up to Colorado Springs and get the interior conversion done.  I've mapped out a route - I could do the trip in a couple of long days, stopping only for gas and disinfecting as I go.  The conversion itself will take only part of one day (the advantage of getting a kit - they have it all ready to go and are very experienced in doing the build-outs). Hopefully, by the end of May or into June.  I'm anxious to get it done, even though I don't expect I'll do a lot of traveling this year - Maybe a trip in August.


In hummingbird news . . . 


The babies are getting big!  I see them stretching their wings occasionally - the nest bulges when they move around.  I'm hoping that I get to see them when they fledge.  Mom is spending less and less time at the nest - she's spending a lot of time hunting and only comes back to feed the hungry babies.






The latest sketches


Colored Pencil


Pen and Ink - Practice unusual perspectives and angles - very fun to do !


Graphite pencil - done in the waiting area of the RV shop


Supposed to be an exercise in using white on toned paper, but I didn't have the right pen so it's a bit disappointing

5 comments:

  1. Your drawings are amazing!!! I'm just so fascinated with your van conversion, I can't wait to see it done. LOVE the swivel seat ... what a difference THAT makes ... and the solar is just perfect. I'm wondering what size fridge you will have. I may just be following in your footsteps. Arizona is opening up MUCH faster than most states, so you should be on your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got an IcePro 12v cooler - in going really simple on this van. Ice Pro gets really good reviews, holds 50 litres, and can be set down to freeze. I'm also trying one of those all-in-one lithium batteries - don't know if it'll be enough storage capacity, but having all the inputs and outputs and charge controller in one 25 pound package is really attractive.

      Delete
  2. Nice getting started on the conversion. Hope the rest happens soon. Are there Arm Rests on your swivel chair?
    You've come a long way on your sketches. These are amazing. You'll be a pro before long.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the freedom.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No arms on the swivel - but, I hear that there are some after market solutions for that.

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to see the finished conversion on your van. Like the swivel seat.
    Really nice sketches you obviously have a talent.

    ReplyDelete

We Love Comments!!