Two hummingbird chicks!

28 Apr, 2020; Vail, AZ


Today I saw the mama hummingbird feeding two little invisible heads!


Actually, I did catch a glimpse of beaks - but couldn't get it on video.  I had one worrying day when I didn't see the Mom all day, so I'm so very glad that she's back and apparently feeding 2 little hungry chicks.





The very big Spiny Lizards are back on my fence





This one was on my front porch - I almost stepped on her when I went outside!  Look at that shiny golden back!





More portraits from my online class



I've started to use different reference photos from the ones provided.  Sometimes their references just don't inspire.  I usually prefer older faces with a lot of character or unusual expressions or poses.


I loved the wrinkles and expression on this first one.  The constraint for the lesson was to render the figure using pretty much only parallel lines to set the values.




I did this self-portrait from a 20 year old sketch I had made of myself while I was watching TV one night.  In this version I corrected a couple of mistakes from the original sketch and strangely enough, made myself look even younger than the original sketch!  The technique in this one was to use graphite dust (with a brush) on toned paper along with graphite pencil - I also used a little white pastel pencil for the very white highlights and my (even back then) very white hair.




I think as an additional challenge for myself, I'll do a similar self-portrait as I look now.


3 comments:

  1. Quite impressive but do one with your Happy Face.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I love the hummer. I wish mine had been able to hatch her eggs. I'm so sad. Great art work! Can't wait to see more. You will be camping soon. I'm excited to see your van conversion. I've actually considered getting one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, I'll be able to schedule the conversion soon - I'm hoping late May. I'll take lots of pictures - I really like the idea of the conversion kit - not too fancy, less to go wrong.

      Delete

We Love Comments!!