30 Faces in 30 Days: 6 - 10

 Vail,AZ

13 Jan, 2022


Day 6


The dreads were fun to draw - I could have pushed the dark areas a little deeper - but, it was taking forever, so I left some areas unresolved.  I think I got the muscles in his neck pretty well, and I'm pleased with his ear (usually, I have a really hard time with ears.


9x12 Graphite


Day 7


The instructor for this day chose to work on white paper very lightly with pencil, leaving the whites very blown out.  Given that the model was a very white boy, I thought it was all too light.  So, I chose to reverse the process and work out from the black paper to the highlights.  I'm pretty pleased with the results (although his eye is a little too defined - makes him look a bit bug-eyed).


9x12 charcoal and white colored pencil on black toned paper


Day 8


This young lady had jet black hair with blue streaks and deep black 'wings' on her eyes with neon blue and pink eye-shadow - quite spectacular.  The instructor wanted to emphasize the playfulness and drama and so she threw in a bit of glitter on the eyes (I got too much glitter on).  This model reminded me a bit of one of my nieces, so it was extra fun to do.


9x12 graphite and colored pencil on toned paper

Day 9


Day 9 was a disaster!!  I usually listen to the demo video to listen to the instructor and see their sketch.  But, I don't like to draw along with them.  I find it distracting and I'm too likely to copy their sketch or their style without really thinking of incorporating the techniques into my practice.  But, for this sketch, I was running a little short on time and sketched along with the video.  As a result, I totally didn't check my proportions and foreshortening, and didn't realize until the very end of this pen and wash sketch how badly I messed up her jaw and chin (the ink sketch on the right)!!

I was so upset!!  I couldn't go on to Day 10 until I did a quick pencil sketch of the model with her features more in alignment.  I really like the sketch on the left but will keep the crappy one to remind me of stepping back and really looking at my sketch periodically during the time I'm working on it.


On the right is what happens when I don't step back in the early stages and check accuracy!!


Day 10

This was another fun pencil sketch.  I'm trying to focus on developing the major masses, shapes, and values, before diving into the details.


9x12 graphite.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!