DIY Gallery Picture Hanging System

 Vail, AZ

24 Jan, 2022


I find it motivating to have recent sketches and painting out where I can see them.


Most of my work is in sketchbooks - out of sight, out of mind.  But, when I started the 30 Faces in 30 Days Class with Sktchy.com I started propping the 9x12 sketches up on my big easel.  I really liked seeing them every day when I came into the studio and had the idea of using one wall of the studio to hang recent work. 

A DIY Picture Hanging System!


I knew I wanted the system to be flexible as I would be swapping work in and out and working in different mediums and sizes.  I knew that it wouldn't need to support a lot of weight - I work almost exclusively on paper and even if I temporarily put the work in show-packs (mat, foam backing and a plasticene bag), each work would be very light.

After some internet research I had an idea for design; after some time on Amazon, I had most of the materials.  I was going to install a picture rail, from which would hang wire with adjustable clips for the art.

I went to Lowe's and bought some chair rail molding (AKA picture rail molding) that has a curve at the top that will hold a hook.   While I was priming and painting the rail, other supplies arrived via Amazon.  Unfortunately, almost nothing is ever open stock, so I have WAY more supplies than I need!

For instance, the picture wire (1.5mm vinyl covered stranded stainless steel) only came in a roll of 98 feet - I only needed about 22 feet.
I also got a box of Molding Hooks (20; I needed 7), a bag of 18 adjustable art gallery wire rope hanger hooks (I used 11), and, because I wasn't hanging framed art that could be hung on a hook, I needed some transition thingee to switch between a hook and some type of clip.  I found some shower curtain clips that would hang on the gallery hooks and had little clips that would fit nicely and hold the weight of my sketches.



Shower curtain clips, art gallery wire rope hooks, molding hooks, and the picture wire



The wire had to be looped through tiny aluminum holders and then crimped.  They say that you can crimp these little holders with a pair of pliers - but, I remember from my days of putting together solar panel systems for my Travel Trailer that getting a good crimp requires more hand strength than I have.  So, either use a hammer, or a big pair of vice grips to get some extra leverage.






This is when I ran into my first major problem (there are always a couple in every DIY project!).  None of the tools that I had and used successfully to cut all sorts of much thicker wire even dented this stuff!  Despite the instructions, that indicated that any wire cutter would work just fine.



I tried pliers, 2 different wire cutters, tin snips, and heavy duty lineman wire cutters




Finally, and out another $20, I found these extra-heavy duty wire cutters that worked great!


The wire with art gallery hook and curtain clip - ready to hang!!


The finished project!!


I'll probably add 1 more wire to this rail.  If I really like this system, I may use the extra material and build one for finished framed work to hang in my living room.  For now, I'm loving this and finding it a joy to spend time in my studio!







Plenty of room for more inspirational sketches!!

And what did this all cost??


$12.00 Chengu Vinyl Coated Picture Frame Hanging Wire, Stainless Steel Wire Spool with 20 Pieces Aluminum Crimping Loop Sleeve, Supports up to 110 Lbs (1.5 mm x 98 Feet)

$6.11 3 sets: Amazon Basics Curtain Rod Clip Rings for 1" Rod, Set of 7, Silver Nickel

$20  Hetai Heavy Duty Wire Cutters Steel Cable Cutter Wire Rope Cutter Aircraft Bicycle Cable Cutter,Up To 5/32"

$10.50  eBoot Pack of 20 Moulding Hooks Picture Rail Hooks Hangers, Nickel Plated

$15.00  HAN SHENG 18 Pcs Adjustable Metal Art Gallery Display Wire Rope Hanger Hooks Picture Rail Hooks Hanger System Accessories for 1mm-2mm Wire Rope

$8.00  Lowe's Home Improvement - 8' Picture Rail Molding (AKA chair rail molding)

Primer and Paint - I just used some stuff I already had in the garage.

So, the total spent for this project was just under $85.  The cost per unit will go down some if I build out additional units - I won't need to rebuy the cutter, wire, or molding hooks.  I will need another picture rail and possibly more of the art gallery adjustable hooks.  I won't need any more of the shower clips, since I would be hanging framed art in units in other rooms and they wouldn't need to be clipped - I could just use the adjustable hooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!