Durango, Colorado

11 Oct, 2017; Durango, Co

First snow of the season!!


Well, it was pretty wimpy for snow - just like frozen mist.  As I drove into Durango and while I was setting up, there was a blowing snow.  I had to dig out the duffel with all my winter clothes (I know I have gloves somewhere!).  

My view on the Animas River


The propane furnace ran almost all night - I was a bit worried about running out as I had an empty tank.  

Yes, those are RR tracks - but these are special!

The famous Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge RR


Originally opened in 1882 to transport gold and silver ore through the San Juan Mountains, this 50 mile section is now used to transport tourists through the beautiful mountains.








After the cold snap, the sun comes out again


Temps in the 60's and the sun bring out the fall colors in the campground.




Touring historic downtown Durango


Well, it's mostly restaurants, art galleries, and gift shops - but you can still see some of the old architecture.










Barkley Park

I was going to take a break on one of the sidewalk benches, but this one was already taken!




Public Transit provides door-to-door convenience.


I wasn't looking forward to parking downtown - so I was happy to hear that there is a well-developed system of trolleys I could use.  The driver was very friendly and remembered where I wanted off and let me know when we were there.




One the ride back, we passed my favorite BBQ joint!!  And Durango has TWO (it's a small SW chain).  They have really good meat, and novel sauces (Cherry Chipotle, Pineapple Jalapeno, etc) - I saw them when I drove in and have been eating BBQ almost every day.




A surprise neighbor when I got back home!


My next door neighbors have completely tricked out a 2003 Palomino TT in a Lucille Ball theme!  Carrie is a Lucille Ball impersonator (and husband plays along).  Way cool down to the smallest detail.


 



2 comments:

  1. I loved Durango and we took the train ride 1st class! Worth the extra money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man,Keep it up.
    Free fortnite gift card codes

    ReplyDelete

We Love Comments!!