I've arrived in Geogia O'Keefe Country!

12 Oct, 2017; Echo Amphitheatre CG, Abiquiu, NM


Who knew it would be so beautiful?!


I knew I wanted a campground near Ghost Ranch so I could spend a couple of days touring around the place Georgia O'Keefe painted.  I found a couple campground signs on the road atlas - not even big enough for names.  So, I figured one of them should be OK.  

As I got close, the mountain terrain gave way to some impressive red rock fins  - very pretty!  And then I saw a sign for Echo Amphitheatre day use and campground.  I drove in and found a huge rock amphitheatre - very impressive.  The small campground (10 spots, about 1/2 pull-thru) was almost empty.  Normally, the sign says $10/night ($5 with the geezer pass), but it must be after the season because there were no pay envelopes and the iron ranger was all taped up.  Well, free is a very good price.





My only neighbors are some young people doing a documentary on thru-hikers on the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) which is over 3,000 miles long.  They've been following several hikers doing the trek this year.


We live in a beautiful country!




I walked up into the amphitheatre and yes, it does echo quite nicely.  The sun was wrong for good pictures but I got a few.  




I'll probably stay for the weekend and do day trips into Ghost Ranch and Abiquiu.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!