Racing the Thunderstorms into Canyonlands NP–Needles area

28 Sept, 2017; Needles area of Canyonlands National Park, Utah

Heavy storm clouds overhead


As I drive south on SR 191 towards Needles, heavy dark rainclouds are moving into the area.  I hope I make camp before the rain hits.  I know from the last weather report to expect a couple of days of intermittent showers.




I turn onto 122 and head down through the canyons to the Needles area.  Along the canyon I find lots of trees, shrubs, grasses – the leaves are starting to turn here and occasionally I see a bright yellow that I think is aspen.  The biggest surprise - 2 wild turkeys!  No place to park along this narrow 2 lane road with no shoulder – so no pictures.  I was surprised to see turkey here.







As the landscape flattened out, I get my first glimpses of the Needles.  The storm has clearly arrived there already and soon I’m dodging showers as I get closer.




I tried the campground in the park first – the campsites are really lovely and fairly well separated as they nestle against (or under) large rock formations.  But, the campground is full.  I remember some BLM camping from the last time I was here (can it be 30 years ago?!) so I backtrack about 8 miles to the sign and find the exact spot I camped those many years ago.  Unfortunately, it is now a pay-campground and is also full.  I continue down the road a bit and find a spot. It’s not as cute as the spots right next to a rock face, but the views are great and I’ll get great sun (when it comes out in between thunderstorms) for my solar.






I set up in the rain; but soon after the clouds parted and I had several hours of sun.  I took a hike down a nearby wash and then up into the slickrock that pretty much surrounds me here.  I won’t get great sunrises or sunsets because I’m camped a bit down in a bowl.









Tomorrow I’ll trek back into the park and check out some of the hikes.  They’re all either really short or really long – but I might get some great views even if I only do part of some of the longer hikes.

The rain is back and I go to sleep with the sound of rain on my roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!