Craters of the Moon NM, Arco ID

10-14 Sept, 2017

Sat Night – Country Corners RV Park, Caldwell ID


I’m still trying to find my traveling rhythm without Fay Wray.  Yesterday it was all I could do to drive 120 miles and today was 294 miles with no problem.  Still it was nice to pull into Country Corners.  The gravel site was perfectly level – I didn’t even need to unhook!  Then, the managers invited me to a free BBQ (they had been gone for labor day weekend so this was their labor day treat for campers).  A very nice stop-over.  If I had to complain, it would be the cafĂ©/pub across the road that had a party going on till rather late (imagine a heavy bass beat from the sound system).

Craters of the Moon National Monument, Arco ID


Surrounded by lava 


I signed up for 2 days and then it was so nice, I signed up for two more!  I have a lovely site up high on a little hill overlooking the campground and the surrounding lava features. There are 2 nice walks nearby.  Unfortunately, the cell service is practically non-existent (maybe 1-2x on Verizon – sometimes).  They don’t even have wi-fi in the visitor center. 




Tiny plants are separated by their need for water


giant cinder cone - see the tiny hiker in red almost at the top



I knew that there would be road work going on in the park while I was here and it has been a bit bothersome.  You have to wait for a pilot car on sections of the road through the park and several of the pull-offs where one would normally park and take pictures are closed. 

Even with temperatures into the low 80’s, there has been a cooling breeze and in the shade of the trailer it’s been very comfortable.  During parts of the day, hornets and black flies make it unpleasant outside (but then I just take a walk or hang out in the trailer – the breeze is keeping it quite cool.

Bicycle Mishap!


It is so nice for bicycling here that I’ve been doing a lot of rides around the campground, to the visitor center and the closest trailheads.  Coming into the Visitor Center I misjudged the effort to get my hiking shoe out of my new toe-clips – came to a stop still tangled up and went sprawling!  I’m always thankful for the folks who come running out of no where to help.  I swallow my embarrassment as a strong young man sprints over to lift me and the bike back to a more normal upright position.  No damage except to my pride. 


That very afternoon, I get out tools and take the toe clips off.  I really don’t need that kind of pedaling efficiency for the toodling about that I’m doing – and my shoes are really too tight for the plastic clips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!