Arizona Fire Season

2 July, 2020; Vail, AZ


Waiting for the Monsoons


The fire nearest Tucson, the Bighorn, has been burning for almost a month and has destroyed over 115,000 acres.  It's on the opposite side of town from me so I've only ocassionally been bothered by smoke.  Until last week when the flames could be seen from my house - still far away but a reminder every night.




Slowly, the fire is being managed, but, really, the only thing that will stop the Arizona fires (and this is only one of probably a dozen) is the arrival of the Monsoon Season.  So, we are all hoping for the Monsoons to arrive.

The cloud patterns are starting to align, today I even had some sprinkles at my house.  I'm grateful as I know that our fires are nothing like the fires that happen every year in California and the Pacific Northwest.  I'm reminded of the truly horrible fires so recently in Australia.  

And, I hope for the Monsoons.


6 comments:

  1. I'm getting lightning alerts most every day. Hoping we don't have any more lightning-started fires. Praying for monsoons too, but hoping they wait one week until I get there!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a little rain twice now. The last was a whole afternoon soaker. I'm still seeing smoke - but not the flames, so I think the rain has been knocking back the fires a bit.

      Delete
  2. I'm in Tucson, too & just retired as school librarian. Looking at the van conversion you have just pursued with interest. Will be following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I'm really liking it - although with the extreme heat, the vinyl flooring is buckling just a bit. I think anything glued is going to have that problem.

      I am appreciating that there is very little off-gassing of plastics/chemicals - that was always an issue with new trailers i've had for the first year or so in the heat.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

We Love Comments!!