30 Faces in 30 Days: 21-25

 Vail, AZ

4 Feb, 2022


2/3 of the way through this challenge!


All my chores are sliding; I'm spending a lot of time in my studio and not much else is getting done.  So, I'm having fun but spending this much time every day is getting to be a bit of a slog.  I think it's showing in my focus (or lack there of!).  I had trouble with several of the pieces this week - either getting frustrated and not really finishing them, having accuracy issues that I didn't discover until too late to correct or other problems that left me unsatisfied with the sketch.

Day 21


Not too bad as I look at it now - but his nose is a bit big, and the cross-hatching is pretty rough.


9x12 pen with watercolor wash


Day 22


This was an interesting character to draw!  I liked doing the wrinkles in his forehead and the shadows around his eyes.  I got tired and didn't fully resolve his hair so that's pretty sketchy.  Also, had trouble with the shape of his mouth and handlebar mustache.  I think he looks like a magician!


9x12 Graphite


Day 23


I was initially excited to draw this guy - he looked like a dancer to me.  But, this is one of the first time I've tried to draw a figure directly with ballpoint pen - no pencil block-out first.  I had a heck of a time getting the ballpoint to shade lightly (I didn't buy the special $9 ballpoint pen that the demo artist was using).  I wasn't paying enough attention to the eyes (focus . . . focus . . . ) and got them too dark.  I could have used more darks on his hand - although I'm pretty pleased with how the hand turned out.


9x12 Ballpoint pen



Day 24


I thought I had this face pretty well mapped out before I got into the detail, but then about half way through, I took a break.  When I stepped back, I noticed that the right eye was situated to high!  I managed to erase it and place it lower so that it matches the left eye more closely.


9x12 Graphite Pencil


Day 25


My favorite of this set of 5!  Pen and watercolor wash - my comfort zone.   Plus, I really liked this model - those lips!


9x12 Toned Mixed Media







No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!