Explosive effects of changing elevation

17 Apr, 2018;  Flagstaff AZ


Another day; another cleanup!


Walking into the trailer after a travel day always causes a bit of trepidation.  Will a cupboard door have been jostled open, spewing it's contents all over the floor?  Will the paper towel have decided to unroll itself?   The first day I got here, I reached into an overhead cupboard to get something and noticed that it was all sticky.  Hmmmm . . . . it shouldn't be sticky.

I pulled out two stacking baskets where I keep a lot of small desk/office misc (the type of stuff you'd keep in the top middle drawer of a desk).  I found that I had, very uncharacteristically, put away a small plastic jar of Elmers Glue without slipping it into a zip-loc bag first.  That was problem #1; problem #2 was that it was apparently very, very old and the change in elevation had caused the dried, brittle plastic jar to shatter (or crumple, or otherwise cease to resemble a container whose main job is 'to contain').  





Glue had seeped out, soaking everything on one end of the top basket, then flowed into the bottom basket and soaked everything, and finally flowed onto the bottom of the cupboard!


If only they had been solid on the sides!

Everything came out onto newspaper spread on my dinette as I tried to clean up before the glue set.  Fortunately, nothing was ruined.  I got all the glue out of the cupboard, most of the small stuff was in zip-loc bags - so only the bags were a loss.  A deck of 3x5 cards got glued along one edge (so now they're bound but can still be pulled apart). 




And then, when I went to make dinner . . . .


I found that my plastic jar of canola oil had leaked.  Fortunately, it was in one of the  tubs I keep all my food in - so, only spilled into the bottom of the tub.  A quick wipe down of all the other condiments, liquid foodstuffs,  and the tub itself put everything to rights again.  


The last couple of days, I've been very cautious every time I opened anything - Will that club soda spray the ceiling?  will my toothpaste shoot out like a paper snake in a can?  Will my fountain pen leak ink all over my fingers?


4 comments:

  1. I never thought about keeping the glue bottles in plastic bags, thanks for the heads up.
    Opening cupboards is always and interesting adventure especially after a particularly bumpy road.

    I love that you have a fountain pen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my pens! . . . and I have the blue inky fingers to prove it!

      Delete
  2. If you use Viva paper towels they will not unroll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really!? who would have thought - Good Tip, Thanks!

      Delete

We Love Comments!!