Finally . . . camping in the sun!

Deschutes River Canyon outside of Maupin, OR

The first night of a short trip - I zoomed up the Columbia gorge chased by small showers until I got to the Dalles, then cut South to Maupin. Maupin is a launching point for rafting trips on the Dechutes River.  I'm camped in a little riverside forest service campground - only 12 small sites.  There are a series of small campgrounds all along the river.  Mostly set up for tent campers, there's usually a few sites that can fit a small rig like mine.  Weekdays the fee is $8; weekends $12.

I can hear the river and the crickets; overhead a hawk rides the afternoon thermals.  I have cheese, crackers and wine - the sun is shining . . . ahhhhh!

The view beyond my picnic table


There's a train track across the river and like most camping in river canyons, there's no hiking - pretty much just watch the water run.  It might be fun to stay the weekend and watch the rafters go by - but I'm thinking I don't want to listen to all the traffic as outfitters ferry folks back from various take-outs.  

So, I'll probably head out tomorrow towards the John Day area - pretty rocks, dinosaur bones, and perhaps some good bird watching.


2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous place to camp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun for a couple of days - lots of birds. Not so great on the weekend when the rafters are in abundance - although it was fun to watch a few of them float by.

    ReplyDelete

We Love Comments!!