Gymkhana - a definite contrast to the high level dressage show

26 Nov, 2017; Tucson AZ


I spend the morning watching kids at Gymkhana


Gymkhana is a much more relaxed schooling show.  I had expected a fun day filled with Western riders but this was a hunter/jumper schooling show (jumps didn't exceed about 12").  Lots of equitation classes, including a few western pleasure.

Shows at this level are family affairs.


The Dad and grandpa hung out in their easy chairs while the kids got ready for their classes

Coaching took place ringside - no one had the high tech microphone/ear bud systems of the previous weekend dressage show!




Very cute paint horse!

My favorite rider/horse combo was this little girl in pink and her very fuzzy pony!!





Overall, I've enjoyed staying at the fairgrounds and would recommend it


The campground area is wide open - I get great views of the sunsets every night.   The campground is far enough away from the venues fields, arenas and exhibition halls that if you get tired of the hub bub, the campground is quiet - but everything is still just a short walk away.  

Unfortunately, there is a remote-controlled flying field nearby and almost every morning I woke up to the buzzing of someone flying a small plane or drone.  In addition, on the weekends, the noise from a nearby raceway made it almost too noisy to sleep (my mp3 earbuds and a good audio-book helped a lot).

Even though the campground was nearly empty, I managed to attract a 'clinger'.  I have no idea why this guy chose to park right next to me with over 200 empty spots nearby - but he did and I had to look at his sewer hose every time I left my trailer.  AND - I couldn't sit in the shade of my trailer without tripping over his hoses.  It's a sign of how lazy I am that I stayed in my spot rather than asking management if I could move to a different spot (a couple hours worth of work to unhook from services, hook up the trailer, un-chalk, wind up the stabilizers, etc and then do it all over in the new spot).




What could he been thinking of!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!