And to think, I used to run from bugs . . .

26 July, 2019; Vail AZ

Black light really does show the scorpions


The desert is an entirely different world at night; usually, it's so thick with bugs slapping into my face or landing on my arms, that I stay inside.  But, Phoebe needs company when she goes outside at night (the coyote howls are close, and the neighbors occasionally see bobcats) - so, I'm becoming familiar with some of my nocturnal neighbors.

This scorpion really stood out on the paver.  After taking the photo, I used the cup and some cardboard (my invasive species relocation kit) to move this guy out of the yard.  Phoebe was being a bit too curious to leave it in my yard.


Not very big - maybe 2"


More spiders . . . 


In addition to my resident Wolf Spider, I also have a smallish grey tarantula (at least I think that's what it is).  This one is very shy and as soon as the light hits it, he runs for his burrow.


All fuzzy and grey; maybe 3" including his legs


This guy was just passing through one night


Phoebe found this guy and was very interested.  Fortunately, she left it when I yelled at her and I got her into the house before taking a couple pics.  This tarantula was one of the bigger ones I've seen in Arizona - about the size of a saucer.  When I got too close, it would hop around - so after a couple of pics, I left it alone.  It was crossing my back yard like it was on a mission.





At night, there are hundreds (and more hundreds) of bugs attracted to the lights in the house


I find this understandable but kind of gross.  I feel a bit like I'm under siege.  I usually put on a porch light and then sneak Phoebe out a side door to keep too many bugs from flying into the house when I open a door.  Fortunately, they're gone in the morning.  Well, the alive ones are gone.  Every morning I use a leaf blower to clear the front and back porches from the many (this morning I counted over 100 of just one species) bug corpses.  I'm surprised that the local birds don't come and eat more of them. A yucky part of being in the desert.


I'm seeing a lot of these huge (3") crickets?, cicadas?

These big mantis's are really bright green (2") - kind of pretty

You could kiss this guy if you're looking for a very angry prince, or to get high or maybe die


Like almost everything around here, this Sonoran Desert Toad is poisonous.  According to my amphibians and reptiles book: "the largest toad in the United States, this toad secretes toxins that can cause hallucinations, paralysis, or death in dogs and other vertebrates" (I'm a vertebrate).

This young one was on my front porch when I went outside to try to get a better pic of the green mantis.  Needless to say, I was startled!!  You can see the orange bumps typical of young ones and the telltale big glands on legs and neck which distinguish it from a bullfrog.  This one was around 4-5".




2 comments:

  1. Oh heck no!! Yes, those bullfrogs are poisonous. Thankfully I haven't run into one. The morning routine of sweeping away dead bugs has become habit now. Where the heck do they all come from?? I'm sure several die in my hair every day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, can't say that the bugs are my favorite thing about the summer desert.
      And I really don't like slimy things like toxin secreting toads!

      Delete

We Love Comments!!