I have a functioning Van!

8 June, 2020; Vail, AZ


Last week I made a quick trip to Colorado Springs, Colorado


The time was right to zip up to the home of WayFarer Vans and have them install my Walt Kit (conversion kit for the ProMaster 159" high roof cargo van).  I figured that I could make the trip stopping only for gas.  I carried all my food, had hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes by the drivers door and carried several masks.

I spent a night on the floor of the van on the way up (very cold with no insulation).  My solar generator is back at the factory to figure out why it's not charging from my solar panels, so I only had my headlamp for light.  But, I had my old backpacking gear, so it felt a little like the car camping I did years ago. 

When I arrived at the WayFarer factory, I met the team that did my install - very nice guys.  After answering a few questions and meeting the dogs (like at the Escape trailer Factory, a couple of dogs wander around supervising the work), I left the guys to work undisturbed.  

Very generously, they handed me the keys to one of their ProMaster City Vans so I could go enjoy the mountains.  They even gave me a couple of suggestions for places to go.  So, while they were hard at work, I took a little hike!

I hadn't been to Colorado Springs in probably 50 years!  I'd forgotten (or never knew) about Manitou Springs and the Red Rock Canyon Open Space.  It was perfect for a short hike.  




As I hiked, I got periodic update pictures of the progress on the van.  Very thoughtful, and reminded me of the every Friday emails from Escape Trailers with the latest photos of my trailer being built!  Apparently, high quality, high customer service business people think alike!


Getting started.  They even took out my camping gear and stored it on some shelves for me!


After being in the desert for a year, the smell of pine was just intoxicating.  




The ceiling MaxFan is in; also, the framing for the ceiling and walls.



There weren't too many people on the trails and everyone donned masks as they got close.





The wool insulation is in.

Before I knew it, the Van was done!


Seriously, half a day!  Check out this You-Tube video showing them doing a complete build in about 3 hours (the video is very quick too!).





Great for lounging

I've never seen such a big sink.  We'll see how I deal with a hand pump (I've always had a 12v water pump)

Is there anything nicer than a new, sparkly clean fan?


Table for 2; perfect for planning my first real camping trip!

I'm beyond happy!!  


The heavy lifting is done; I just have a few details left to do myself


The biggest thing will be finalizing the wiring for the fridge and figuring out where to run the interior lights.  For now, I've just stuck up some Puck lights.  I think I'll camp in it a few times to see where I really want lighting.

Today I installed the fire extinguisher and a carbon monoxide alarm (I'll be heating with a Little Buddy propane heater, and I may be carrying a small propane tank inside).



The IcePro 50 12v cooler fits perfectly behind the drivers seat.  Plenty of room for air flow and I think the 12 v cord will reach to my battery location without needing an extension (won't be sure until I get the solar generator back from Inergy.



4 comments:

  1. This looks SO cool!!! It seems to me you have lots of room. This may just be the answer for me down the road. Congrats!!!! I'm so excited to see pictures of you out on the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious to be traveling - but still very cautious about what I'm willing to risk until there is a good vaccine. Numbers in Arizona are still going up!

      Delete
  2. It's impressive but I am wondering why they didn't do the wiring first before installing the wall panels.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This company just does the kit - really nothing extra. I do have the solar and the MaxFan wiring coming into the van under the walls because I had discussed with them where the wires could go without affecting their install. And, fortunately, the kit is put together entirely with screws and bolts - I can temporarily remove whatever I need to when I decide what the locations for the lighting will be.
      Their target market is much younger and many don't even get power in their rigs. They do sell a Yeti Gold Zero solar generator - but suggest folks just wire it and the optional MaxFan into the van battery - not an acceptable option to me.
      They saw my solar panels and are interested in having me do an introduction to Solar at their annual owners camp out this fall. I may do that if travel and going to a gathering seems safe enough.

      Delete

We Love Comments!!