30 Faces in 30 Days: 11-15

Vail, AZ 

21 Jan, 2022


Day 11


No pencil blocking out to start this sketch - just direct ink!  That almost always results in distortion so I figured I might as well go for it.  It does feel looser and a bit freer than some of the previous sketches.






Day 12


I couldn't get the darkest darks - and at the same time, some areas seem too dark.  Really had difficulty with this sketch.  






Day 13


Finally, an older person!  I really enjoyed doing the beard and wrinkles.  I lost interest on the hair and it shows.





Day 14


This was fun because of the deep cast shadows under the hat and the highlights on his nose and lips.






Day 15


Cross-hatching is not my favorite technique - I really struggle with enough patience for such a tedious technique.  Also, it's very hard with ink to get even marks - most pens want to start and end each stroke darker than in the middle, especially if I hurry.  It really requires mindfulness - when my impatience really wants me to just scribble!!

I used a fountain pen with this sketch which worked fairly well until it deposited a big blob of ink right into his eye.  Mostly, I was able to fade it into the shadows - but it was definitely an unintended mark!.

Overall, I'm pleased with the sketch.  One good thing about the technique is that since I don't like doing it, once I finished with the focus area (the face), I was very motivated to think of ways to fade out details in the hair - and, I do need practice not giving all areas of a sketch equal attention.

Even though I didn't enjoy the technique, I think it ended up being the strongest sketch in this group.


9x12 blue fountain pen



No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!