30 Faces in 30 Days

Vail, AZ 

7 Jan, 2022


30 Day Challenge to get out of old habits


My go-to media is always pen and ink, with watercolor or ink washes.  But, in signing up for the online class Sktchy.com 30Faces30Days, I will be experimenting with a lot of different techniques as each video is presented by an artist demonstrating their take on pencil and/or pen.  I think this will be a great way to start off the new year.  Good to break up old habits, try new stuff, get a different perspective and breathe some life into a stale practice.

Day 1


Today's challenge was closest to my normal mode of sketching.  Pen with light watercolor washes.  The hands were challenging, of course, but the more I can focus on just the shapes, the better they turn out.

Mixed media paper helped avoid too many hard edges

Day 2


I forget that you can use graphite almost as a brush.  Laying down a mid-tone over the whole page and then molding the face by laying in darks using the side of a soft pencil, and lifting out the lights with a kneaded eraser feels almost like sculpture.  I really enjoy this process (except that it's pretty messy).  I need to remember to use this technique more often - it's so fun!!  I tend to draw and then fill in the spaces instead of using my tools to make different marks and approach my subjects in a more painterly way (I even tend to use brushes like pens - outlining and then filling in).  I think using today's technique with  charcoal or graphite could help me break out of this habit.


I didn't have graphite dust to lay down the basic mid-tone  - so I used charcoal.


Day 3


Cross-hatching - my least favorite sketching technique!!  But, I did learn a lot; it helps to use a variety of pen nibs, from super-fine (like 005) to larger, bolder nibs.  Doing this allows for a lot more nuance to the shading.  But, still, it's very time consuming. Usually, I hate doing hair, but I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out.  Also, no pencil blocking in first! So, going to pen immediately is a bit like being on a trapeze with no net!




Day 4


Graphite and white charcoal pencil on toned 9x12 paper.  This was fun to do but I'm aware that I could have pushed the value ranges a lot more - still looks unfinished to me.  But, since I'm limiting myself to about an hour, it's not a bad start.





Day 5


Another pen and ink with cross-hatching.  I reconciled myself to doing the cross-hatching by reducing the scale - this one is about 6x8.  I ran out of my fine pointed black micron pens, so I substituted some colored ink microns that I had laying around.  I'm trying to use up art supplies before buying new ones - I'm running out of room in my studio!! Also, unused supplies tend to dry out and, given how expensive supplies are, that drives me nuts.




So, what are my take-aways so far?


Day 1 was the most comfortable as this is how I normally sketch.  Day 2 was the furthest away from my normal practice and turned out to be the most fun.  I love how pulling and pushing the values feels almost like sculpture.  So, while messy, it's very fun to do.  

What I notice looking over the 5 sketches is that I didn't really do a full value range in any of them.  The values could be pushed much further.  Upon reflection, it isn't just impatience (although that's part of it); I think I'm afraid of wrecking a decent sketch by doing too much.  And, of course, with pen and watercolor, you can't take it back!  I'm thinking that I should do some practice with charcoal or pencils with the goal to get a full range of values into the sketch.


We'll see what the next 5 bring!


2 minute semi-blind self-portrait contour sketch


2 comments:

  1. Wow!! I always admire people who have talent and can create art like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun - and really, it's more practice than talent!

      Delete

We Love Comments!!