San Angelo State Park

9/11-13,2016 San Angelo, Tx

San Angelo Tx State Park


After a few days of daily driving, both FW and I need a rest break!  The SP is just a couple of miles outside of San Angelo - so it's perfect for a rest - near shopping so I can restock, great cell phone and internet signal and over 20 channels of TV.  Too bad it's over 90 degrees - but I do have hookups so I can the air conditioner.

My site overlooking the lake
\
Typical site

The lake - looking towards the earthen dam


A few specifics . . . 


The park is over 7,500 acres on the OC Fisher Reservoir.  The sites are well spaced in several loops - some dry, some with hookups. They all have fire pits, BBQ grills, picnic benches with sun roofs. Lots of them have shade trees near by and they all have long spurs that are very level.  There is an equestrian camping area - and lots of hiking, biking and riding trails.

There are lots of picnic areas, a boat launch, a demonstration Longhorn cattle herd, and a bison herd.  I saw the longhorns as I drove in the first day - but they and the bison disappeared into the brush as soon as I had my camera in hand.  I did see a couple of mule deer.

Nature viewing stand


There is a great bird watching area set up with a viewing blind looking out onto bird feeders and a water trough.


The bird watching shed




I sat in the viewing blind for awhile - the birds were startled off when I first entered the blind (they must have seen some movement or the change of light through the windows) - 
but, after a bit, they settled and came back.  


Female Northern Cardinal - I think . . . .



This water trough really was drawing a crowd.

I missed the cactus flowering, but there were still some wildflowers






3 comments:

  1. I love San ANGELO . There is a little Mexican Restaurant ,a family owned, hole in the wall type. it is very popular with the Air Force people . We always eat there as it is very reasonable , I love the Caldo , a vegetable beef soup I am thinking the name is HERNANDEZ BROTHERS or something like that . It is almost as you leave town going south on the left side of the street. What was the charge to spend the night at the State Park? We hope to take our 17ft CASITA to San Antonio next month. we usually stop to gas up and eat in San Angelo after the long drive from our home in Amarillo .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remember your restaurant suggestion!!
      Electric sites are $20; non-electric are $10. Then they toss on a day use fee of $4 per day. It was hot enough that I went for electric!

      Delete
    2. I am new to your blog and i am enjoying reading about your travels . where are heading next. this will be our firat trip to san antonio with our camper and we want to go slow and easy. if you are heading near BOERNE may i suggest eating at the Hungry Horse . Their steaks are delicious and one meal is big enough for two .

      Delete

We Love Comments!!