My first full hook-up site in over 4 months!

11 Mar, 2017; Bakersfield CA


Fay Wray is giving no quarter today!


She starts meowing as soon as she gets into the car - and continues to alternate napping with howling every 15-20 minutes for the entire 2.5 hours that it takes to drive to my next stop, Desert Palms RV Park in Bakersfield, Ca.  It's only about 130 miles - but FW is apparently on strike.

I thought I would stay 2 days to give her a rest - but after cresting a hill and being horrified at the valley full of thick smog - I'll be moving on asap!  


All the light brown and then the dark, dark color is SMOG.  

I could hardly believe how thick a layer of smog lay over the hills and valley!  Visibility on the highway was reduced!!  Whole mountains were blocked out and it was hard sometimes to see nearby hills.  After about 30 minutes, my eyes started to sting.

When checking into the RV Park, the clerk said that this is not a temporary temperature inversion - it's this way year round.  I remember this from my last drive through Southern California but assumed that it was just a winter phenomenon like I used to experience in Denver.   YUCK!  I'm trying not to breathe very much. . . . 


The lovely sound of the microwave turning on!


The RV Park has cable TV, full hook-ups, a laundromat, swimming pool and hot tubs.  So, I can turn on the AC this afternoon, do my laundry, take a LONG hot shower using their facilities and take a swim while I'm waiting for the clothes to dry.  Such luxury!!  And then, I can watch cable TV!


There is requisite train tracks next to the RV Park.  In fact, about 30 yards from my trailer.  So far, a train has been by about every hour!!


I was hoping to drive out of all this smog Sunday . . . .


The drive today was horrific!!  My eyes sting, my throat is raw, and visibility can't be more than 1/2 mile!!  All of Congress and especially Scott Pruitt, the new head of the EPA, should be forced to spend time here!!  This smog reminds of the photos from China before the Olympics - truly awful.

While I was willing to drive until dark, FW gave it up after about 150 miles.  So, tonight I'm in the Lakes Golf and RV Resort in Chowchilla CA.  Tiny little space (but full services), and a free round of golf thrown in - that might be an attractive idea if I was willing to breathe any more of this smog than absolutely necessary.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh, CA smog. So glad to leave it behind. We did detour to Morro Bay and Pismo Beach this year to meet friends. What a great decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard from you in a while... Can you post something so we know u r OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so sorry! I'm OK - was just stuck in one place for a couple months in the rain taking care of business. Except for June when I traveled to BC for a month - I'll be posting about that, and generally catching up very soon!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

We Love Comments!!