After 4 winter visits, I still find new places to explore

29 Jan, 2018; Quartzite AZ

Hi Jolly Cemetery


A few days ago, I had some time on my hands between appointments in Quartzite.  So, I decided to visit this local attraction.

Hadji Ali is a famous character here – he was a camel driver from Syria who was brought over by the US military in an experiment using camels as transport animals in the area.  He had a successful career and is memorialized in the Hi Jolly (locals had a hard time with his name and this corruption is commonly used) cemetery.




No grass and shady trees in this cemetery!


There’s a lot of rock around here – lots and lots of rock.  The white quartz can be very pretty.  I’m told that quartz is often often near gold – which makes sense considering the gold, silver and other mining that was done in the area.







While the grave sites seem very plain; at least the sky overhead is spectacular at dawn and sunset!




1 comment:

We Love Comments!!