Rock Solid Awning

7 Feb, 2018; Dome Rock BLM, Quartzite AZ


Losing the Paha Que shade tent to wind was traumatic


After losing my cute Paha Que a couple years ago in a wind storm, I've been even more cautious about deploying my (much more expensive) awning. 

But, a few weeks ago, I met Duke and Beverly and admired their awning set-up with their Escape 19.  Duke told me that he has had the awning out in 35 mph winds!  Probably too much for me - but maybe I'd feel safer with his setup.


awning de-flapper

More things to shop for in Tyson Wells and the big RV tent!


I found some great awning straps and awning de-flappers.  The stakes that came with the straps weren't going to work in the hard desert sand/rock, so I looked around until I found some perfect rebar stakes with welded-on loops.  Then, I got a couple buckle carabiners to hook the straps to the stakes.  Along with the sturdy awning arms, I  felt the awning was rock-solid!







With gusts at 23 mph, I took down the sunblock shades (and then the awning).


The awning and shade set up worked great in breezy winds, but as it got more gusty, the trailer was rocking.  Luckily, everything is easy to put up and just as fast and easy to take down.  





I love having some shade - makes the trailer cooler and is a nice place to sit without having to move a chair every couple hours as the shade moves around the trailer.  I have to admit that I use it more when I'm alone - with friends, we usually like to spread out more.







2 comments:

  1. With your particular Awning, you can place the Diagonal Arms upright like legs and use the Spike Stakes along with the Tie-Downs.
    The wise thing to do is Never leave your awning out at night or if you go away. Sudden wind gusts will destroy it and do damage to your trailer.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the trailer arms - putting them down would probably help keep folks from walking into them too!

      Delete

We Love Comments!!