Desert Denizens

28 Jan, 2018; Quartzite AZ

I have been enjoying my hummingbirds


I have one very small hummer who hangs out in the Ocotillo right behind my feeder.  This one makes a clicking sound periodically.  I usually enjoy a second cup of tea and read outside in the sun and enjoy the company of this little guy. 





A few days ago, a larger hummingbird appeared.  This one had a drink (with no complaint from the perching smaller one. But, after feeding, the larger hummingbird (might be a Rufous) flew straight up and executed 3 screaming (yah, I know the sound is made by the tail feathers – but it sounds like a high pitched whistle or scream) dewive bombs at the perching hummingbird before the to of them fly off in a chase.  This pattern is repeated several times a day.

And yes, that does mean that I spend an inordinate amount of time just sitting in the sun.

Today, I have new visitors


Today, while enjoying the morning,  I notice a bunch (half a dozen or so) of little chipmunks or ground squirrels, or something like that , all chasing and scurrying about in the wash just next to my campsite.  I moved, heard a warning cry from several of them and they disappeared into small burrows.  Took about 10 minutes before they were brave enough to come back out.  Now wary, I only got one picture today (but I’ll be watching again this afternoon).


For the first time today, I also noticed a hawk flying over – coincidence?  I think not.  Clearly, the little rodents have more to fear than just me.


This is a little guy, but the bigger ones have stripes down their backs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!