I have a functioning screen door again!

18 Dec, 2018; RoVer's Roost SKP Coop; Casa Grande, AZ


Phoebe broke my screen door latch


In early September, just a couple of weeks after adopting Phoebe, we were visiting a friend in Sisters, OR.  Thinking Phoebe would be fine in the trailer alone for a few minutes, I walked up to my friend's house - where I found Phoebe waiting on the porch.  Hmmmm . . . .  I turned around to see my screen door partially demolished where Phoebe had just run through it.  


No pictures of the screen door fiasco - so last nights sunset will have to do.

She had ripped the screen out of the runner (it's a retractable, roll-up door) and  broken the latch.  It wasn't too hard to push the screen back into the runner - but the latch was totally busted.  

Ever since then I've been looking online and in hardware stores for a replacement latch - with no luck.  Finally, I emailed the Escape Trailer factory and asked if they had a part number and/or a supplier for a replacement latch.  I wasn't terribly hopeful, since they stopped using my type of screen door a couple of years ago.





Escape customer service comes to the rescue again . . . .



Fortunately, being a company with consistently superb customer service, they had both a part number and a link to their supplier.  I jumped on this and found the part.  Since shipping costs were double what the part was going to cost, I ordered 2 (after all, I'm not betting that Phoebe learned her lesson - I'll be more careful, but I suspect she may run through the screen again). 

On checkout, I notice that some of the information is not in English - rather Japanese characters.  Oh Oh - I hope the part doesn't have to come all the way from Japan!!   For the next week, I worry that the part won't come until after I've left the park in January.  I imagine all sorts of problems with getting the part forwarded to wherever I end up.

In a rare stroke of luck, the part was actually shipped from someplace in California (right next door!!) and I received it just a couple of days ago.  It was easy to install and now I can use my screen door!  

Yay!!  This is especially nice as there is an invasion of black flies in Casa Grande just now and leaving one's door open without a screen is definitely NOT an option.

Hopefully, Phoebe will learn about the screen door without running through it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!