The New Year Starts with a Bang (or rather, a Crash!)

14 Mar, 2020,Vail AZ


"It's a beautiful day, I'll ride the Scooter!"


It started out as such a nice day; I thought I'd ride my scooter (Kymco People S250) into town.  Halfway to my destination, I found myself lying on the ground.  I still am unsure what happened - no other vehicle, no pothole, the bike just went out from under me.  Fortunately, even though I was in traffic, no one hit me.  Lots of folks stopped to get the bike to the side of the road, and help me up.  The result, one confused me, a slightly beat up scooter, and a broken collarbone and some scrapes and bruises.  Could have been much worse so I am very grateful.  The scooter is languishing in the garage contemplating it's sins until I recover enough to ride it to a repair shop.




Meanwhile, it's the end of the Escape Trailer Era


I've been thinking for awhile now that the type of traveling I will do in the next few years doesn't really fit with the trailer.  While I love it for extended travel and long stays where I can unhook and day trip around with just the car, I don't love it for quick getaways and trips where I'm staying only a day or two.  I'm less spontaneous with the trailer.  So, I decided to sell it (heart-breaking) and go back to something more like the VW Westfalia that I loved in my younger years.  

Getting the trailer out of storage, ready to sell, and showing it to prospective buyers while dealing with a broken collarbone and lots of bruises wasn't a heck of a lot of fun - but, as usual, with molded fiberglass trailers, like the Escape, selling them isn't really too hard. Within about 5 days, I had a buyer.  A very nice couple from California were upgrading from a Casita and are delighted with my Escape!


Goodbye to "en Pleine Aire"; I understand she's now called "Eager" and, after a few months in storage, I'll bet she is!


But, endings leave room for new beginnings


Meet the new blank canvass; a 2019 ProMaster 2500 High Roof, 159" wheelbase . . . . box.





I have an appointment with Wayfarer Vans, Colorado Springs,  in early April to install their conversion kit.  I expect that the kit will get me about 80% of what I want without me having to buy tools and do it myself. The conversion kit is a one day easy-peasy (easy for me anyway, I just sit in the waiting room and drink tea!) way to get all the insulation, walls, floor, bed, kitchen, fan and storage boxes installed.  The rest of the build-out is primarily buying stuff like the fridge, porta-potty, heater, and batteries.  Solar and swivel seats will have to be installed (hopefully by someone else).  Stay tuned for pictures of the new travel solution.

I'm playing with names; so far, I'm calling it "The Beast", or "Moby Dick" - it is kind of a great white whale.  Maybe, once it's fully outfitted, it'll feel more homey and I'll have a better name for it.


6 comments:

  1. Yikes!! So sorry the scooter got crazy and fell over. Broken anything is not good. I've come to the conclusion my rig is too big and am thinking of selling it. I hope my sale goes as easily as yours. I can't wait to see the van outfitted!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super excited about the van buildout - I'm trying, somewhat unsuccessfully, to avoid buying lots of stuff for it until after the build and I can see how much space i have(or dont have) - it will be way smaller than my SUV and 19' ft trailer combo!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to read of your accident. Just glad it wasn't worse.It will be sad to see the Escape going away.
    If you are having a conversion kit installed you might consider having them install the Fridge, the Propane system and Wire it for the 12 Volt as well as a 120 Volt Plug. Easier before the kit is installed.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the change of travels.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you there! I'm working like crazy to get solar and other wiring done before I take the van to Colorado to have the conversion kit installed. Even though the walls etc are all modular and can be easily removed, I dont want to have to do that.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to read about your accident hope you heal fast.
    Congratulations on your new "RV". Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of time to heal now - I won't be going anywhere for awhile (#flattenthecurve!).
      Lots of time to plan what I want in the conversion van!

      Delete

We Love Comments!!