Those Dang Javelinas!!! Southern Arizona can be a harsh place to live

 Vail, AZ

15 Dec, 2022


I'm not much of a gardener . . . 


About 18 months ago, I saw some discarded single pads of Indian Fig Cactus and brought them home.  I planted them in my back yard and have been carefully nurturing them.  They have been thriving and growing like crazy!





This month I decided that they were big enough to release into the wilds of my front yard.  Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough to fence them in - and my local marauding squadron of javelina destroyed 3 of the 4 I planted!!  









The broken off part is back in the raised beds - hopefully, it will survive!


I fenced in the chewed up cacti - perhaps with protection and care,  they will survive.  But, I'll be asking friends for more cuttings!







I guess that this is the downside to having all the lovely wildlife surrounding me.  I talked to a neighbor who said that they estimate that they lose about 50% of their planting - to the harsh desert climate or animals like javelina, bunnies, and pack rats.  Some critter dug down below my new saguaro right after it was planted - I know some critters dig down and eat the plant roots.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!