Chiricahua National Monument

 Bonita Canyon CG: Chiricahua NM, Wilcox AZ

8 May, 2023


I-10 Was Closed!!  But the detour was prettier . . . 


It's rare that an interstate is closed for days on end - but in the days leading up to this latest trip, there was a big accident that closed the highway both directions and the west-bound exit by Wilcox will be closed for awhile because the overpass was compromised.  But, I detoured on county roads to get into the Chiricahua NM and my campground.  By the end of my get-away, the highway had re-opened.


Bonita Canyon CG is an old CCC campground


There are 26 campsites mostly very small tent sites;  There are maybe 6 sites suitable for a trailer.  My site was plenty big enough but, like a lot of older CG, the 1 way loop made for a very difficult back-in.  I ended up going the wrong way around the loop in order to back into the site.  





The campground is at about 5400' so the temps were just lovely!  The air smelled like juniper, pine and oak and wild turkey and white-tailed deer were everywhere.  While I love the Sonoran desert, a brief get-away to the mountains was pure joy.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Comments!!