Phoebe - my new co-pilot!!

14 Nov, 2018; Apache Junction, AZ


After 18 months, I fell off the Pet-less people wagon.


Probably because I was feeling sad and lonely after my brother's death, but I found myself looking on Petfinder.  For a few weeks, I was able to resist all the cute photos, telling myself I didn't dare actually go look at any of them (I knew I'd get the first pet in need of a home, regardless of whether it was appropriate for me or not).

And, sure enough, I was a goner when I first saw Phoebe!  She checked a lot of boxes - she is small (15.5 pounds), short-haired, doesn't bark and likes other dogs (and probably cats). But, I really didn't want a Chihuahua mix and definitely didn't want another shy dog - but that's what I got.  And, she's perfect!



Her first picture - curious, but won't let me touch her

I won't even tell you how long it takes to get the harness on every morning!


One of our 1st walks; she's very curious. Tail is pretty tight under her belly, though


In the trailer, she hides as far away as possible

Getting a bit more comfortable


Visiting friends in Bend.  Phoebe will use other dogs' beds, but not the one I bought for her; it's far too scary!!


Here is Phoebe, ignoring the expensive bed I got for her

Phoebe's friend, Chula, tries to show Phoebe that the bed is not scary.

Everyone asks what breed Phoebe is


We don't know for sure - but I'm seeing some similarities.

I think she's part Meercat . . . .






and part Dobby, the house elf . . . .  just sayin'








Why was Phoebe homeless???


Well, this was the 3rd (THIRD!!!) leash in less than 3 months.  I just looked away for a minute . . . .




9 comments:

  1. What a cute new co-pilot you have found.
    I am going to guess that Phoebe does not like leashes..lol
    Continued safe adventures.

    Celebrating the Dance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😅 you'd be guessing correctly - actually, it's not so much the leash as it is getting bored and being restrained. Me, jibber-jabbering with the neighbors, is apparently boring!

      Delete
  2. Chewing the Leash like that might also be a sign that she was beaten with one at some time. Maybe try a retractable that will give her some space when you stop to visit.
    Be safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely abused - afraid of people, especially hands or feet coming near her, and she panics if the leash gets tight. But, she's curious and good motivated, so I think she'll come around with time.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love Phoebe, who would not love Phoebe! My last dog had similar issues, or it seems like they are similar, and she was obviously abused with cigarette burns on her even. I added a three-foot length of chain to the end of her leash so she couldn't chew through it anymore, and never left her tied anywhere with the leash (had a separate long length of chain for that). My vet taught me to have her lick around my mouth, just a bit, whenever I came in the door ... that shows them that you are the alpha dog and teaches them that you can be trusted. I didn't believe this last thing, but it worked in less than one day. She stopped hiding from me! I don't know, with a weird hat on you might be scary. :-) Also make lots of eye contact and talk at the same time, but try not to show your teeth to her especially when you are close to her head. Oh boy I hope she comes to learn real soon that she has a wonderful home and a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your dog made progress!
      Phoebe, being part Chihuahua, is a licker! I do let her luck my chin a couple times as a greeting. It helps that she's curious - slowly, some things are getting less scary.

      Delete
  4. She looks so much like an oversized miniature pinscher. We've had 3 big red ones. I think they end up in rescue because they are bigger than the breed standard. Look on the IMPS rescue website and see what you think. As you might have guessed they are my favorite breed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy! Good to hear from you. Phoebe is exactly the same size as a friends Min Pin; also very similar to another friends Rat Terrier. I had a DNA check: 25% chihuahua, 10% Spitz, 65% 'we can't even hazard a guess'.
      She's doing really well after 2 years - still a shy dog but also very affecectionate and a great little hiking companion.

      Delete

We Love Comments!!